50 ways to stop global warming
- Replace a regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (cfl)CFLs use 60% less energy than a regular bulb. This simple switch will
save about 300 pounds of carbon dioxide a year.We recommend youpurchase your CFL bulbs at 1000bulbs.com, they have great deals on both screw-in and plug-in light bulbs.
- Move your thermostat down 2° in winter and up 2° in summerAlmost half of the energy we use in our homes goes to heating and
cooling. You could save about 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide a year
with this simple adjustment.
- Install a programmable thermostatProgrammable thermostats will automatically lower the heat or air
conditioning at night and raise them again in the morning. They can
save you $100 a year on your energy bill.
- Clean or replace filters on your furnace and air conditionerCleaning a dirty air filter can save 350 pounds of carbon dioxide a year.
- Do not leave appliances on standby
Use the “on/off” function on the machine itself. A TV set that’s switched on for 3 hours a day
(the average time Europeans spend watching TV) and in standby mode during the remaining 21 hours
uses about 40% of its energy in standby mode.
- Wrap your water heater in an insulation blanketYou’ll save 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide a year with this simple
action. You can save another 550 pounds per year by setting the
thermostat no higher than 50°
- Defrost old fridges and freezers regularlyEven better is to replace them with newer models, which all have automatic defrost cycles and are
generally up to two times more energy-efficient than their predecessors.
I'll post 8,9,10,11,12 tomorrow I hope these tips are helpful please save the earth